Sunday, June 30, 2024

Grandma's Gone Wild

If there’s anything I’m guilty of on The Whitly-Verse, it’s neglecting lesser-known movies. It’s not like I haven’t touched on them before, but I’ve never written full-length pieces (with one exception). And since that hurts my niche appeal, especially with those who don’t fit my conventional demographic, it’s a missed opportunity. So let’s change that. Let’s talk about Thelma.


I’d heard about this movie in passing, but it wasn’t until it was recommended to me by a close buddy that I looked into it more. Sure enough, the trailer had me sold. It’s an action movie starring a nonagenarian! Why don’t more movies go that route? Instant gold! Not since Up has a senior citizen been this engaging!

The premise is straightforward: June Squibb plays Thelma Post, a 93 year-old widow and grandmother who’s scammed out of $10000 by someone pretending to be her grandson. Her daughter and son-in-law think that old age is settling in because of this. But since Thelma’s unsatisfied by the police’s investigation, she take matters into her own hands. Armed with an old frenemy, a motorized scooter and a pistol she’d “borrowed”, Thelma tracks down the scammer to reclaim her money. Shenanigans ensue.

Squibb makes this movie. She broke out about a decade ago with her role in Nebraska, and she ups her game here. Squibb’s Thelma balances age and spunk with ease, and it’s interesting that she’s only now getting attention. She’s also really funny, transitioning from “I’m proactive!” to “I think I recognize her!” on a dime. She reminds me of my 91 year-old Bubbie, sharp as wit despite her physical decline. She might need a walker these days, and she underlines words in emails when it isn’t appropriate, but she remembers dates and events that even I can’t. It’s an endearing quality only works with her cohort, and Squibb taps into that energy consistently.

This also lends for excellent comedy, physical and conversational. For a typical action star, you’d think explosions and fistfights would be standard. But Thelma isn’t capable of that because of her age. Sure, she’s inspired because of Mission Impossible: Fallout, which she watches on her tube TV, but stakes for her are sneaking up the steps without tripping, or driving a scooter without getting caught. It’s these little details we take for granted that drive the action, and they’re as funny as they are riveting.

Amidst this is a sad and depressing movie about old age. Seeing someone you love decline is heartbreaking, and society encourages us to abandon the elderly without recognizing their experience and wisdom. It’s frustrating teaching your grandparents how to open and close emails, but they’re not dumb! They can carry on conversations if you let them, you simply have to do it their way. Also, many people aren’t fortunate to live that long! Like my Bubbie says, “Getting old isn’t for sissies!”.

The clever balance of humour and excitement with reality makes Thelma engaging. I credit the director, Josh Margolin, for not only making a movie based on his own grandmother’s life, but also directing it with sincerity. This could’ve easily failed to resonate, or been too preachy, but Margolin knows how to blend drama and comedy well. Not a single joke feels forced, and while many may fail to land with someone who isn’t of Squibb’s generation, I nevertheless was laughing hard here. This is despite me and my friend being the youngest people in the theatre.

Thelma also says everything in a lean package. This movie’s roughly 98-minutes, and it never feels too long or short. That’s impressive given many movies fail with that Goldilocks Zone. It has big ideas, says them without overstaying its welcome, and leaves you satisfied. Plus, it has another Oscar-worthy performance from Squibb, and I’ll be disappointed if The Academy doesn’t capitalize on that.

I can’t recommend Thelma enough. Not only because it’s an action romp meant for 90+ year-old women, but also because it’s a heartfelt story about getting older that everyone can appreciate. For grandparents, it’s a reminder that old people can contribute to society. For parents, especially those with elderly parents, it shows not taking your aging relatives for granted. And for grandchildren, particularly those who are adults, it’s a lesson in not giving up on your dreams. If Thelma Post can go on an adventure at 93, then it’s not too late!

Please go see Thelma. It won’t be the flashiest movie of the year, or the most ambitious, but it’s a contender for one of my favourites so far. I say that knowing the year’s only half-over, and that Blockbuster Season’s only starting to pick up now. If this silly, 98-minute movie about a grandmother reclaiming stolen money can qualify as one of the best of 2024, then we’re in good hands. And the director also has a bright future ahead of him, assuming he capitalizes on this properly.

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to go help grandmothers who’ve been scammed out of their pensions. Wish me the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)