Wednesday, October 4, 2023

...In One Piece

I’ve long been on the fence with the One Piece franchise. Ignoring the Manga, the 4Kids dub had its moments, yet, save the intro, didn’t do it for me. Even with FUNimation re-dubbing the show, its refusal to finish was a turn-off. The filler arcs didn’t help, either. Because how long can you pad a story?


I mention this because One Piece is now a Netflix series. And unlike Cowboy Bebop, it’s been well-received. The anime-to-live-action “curse” has been broken by a series that shouldn’t have smoothly translated. It should also be up my alley! So why am I hesitant still?

Let’s first address the elephant in the room. I shouldn’t be against a never-ending series in theory. I’m an MCU fan! Like I said before, serialized storytelling’s designed to not end. It thrives on adding to what came before it, expanding the lore for future instalments. But here’s the difference: The MCU doesn’t require you to get “caught up”. The key is being able to enjoy serialization without seeing previous instalments. Even adamant fans of One Piece can’t attest to that.

Also, The MCU has actual endings. They’re not conventional, but there are arcs and mini-stories. The Ant-Man movies, for example, are a trilogy, the Captain America movies are a trilogy, the list goes on. Even within individual entries, they’re complete enough that watching the next entry’s optional. Once again, I doubt One Piece can attest to that.

The real issue, I think, is the filler arcs. Not filler episodes, which I don’t mind, whole arcs. Some of my favourite shows have plenty of the former, since they establish characters or build the world. Even in a worst-case scenario, where it wastes my time, I can forgive it if the rest of the show compensates qualitatively. Because it’s a one-off.

One Piece has whole arcs dedicated to filler. The one I hear about most is The Skypiea Arc. It’s 43 episodes, and it’s a side-story. 43 episodes is already the length of some series, and they usually go somewhere significant. But One Piece, being a Toei show, uses that as a way to let the Manga catch up. And said Manga’s been running since the 90’s.

It's frustrating because what little I’ve seen of the show’s excited me. Luffy’s mentor sacrificing his arm to save him from death? Sanji giving pirate criminals who are starving food because he has a code of ethics? Luffy’s brother dying in his arms? That’s all compelling drama, and the show takes full-advantage.

Even the main premise is captivating! A famed pirate announcing that he’s left his inheritance in a single treasure before he’s beheaded? That’s a literal MacGuffin chase story! It not only fits the pirate-exploration theme, it’s a great way to feel engaged. Who doesn’t want to know what this mysterious “one piece” is?

So why not keep the eye on the prize? Why bog down the story with side-quests that end up going nowhere? I understand that the creator of One Piece, Eiichiro Oda, is really invested in world-building, and that dragging stories out is a Toei trademark, but at 1093 Chapters and 1077 Episodes currently, you’d think the main goal, finding the treasure of Gold Roger, wouldn’t be important. Or, if it is, it’d either have been found multiple times, or be a wild goose chase. And yet, we’re supposed to care?

I haven’t even discussed the Netflix series yet. Despite translating this to live-action not being something I approve of, I’d be willing to give it a chance because it’s been around for long enough that a live-action redo can encapsulate the fervour while distilling the essence. There’s no need for all the unnecessary filler, something made easier by Netflix restricting seasons to a few episodes. It’s a great way to get someone like me invested, although there’s a high chance of cancelation without warning.

But why am I hesitant? I know it’s excellent, and I can tell everyone involved cared. What’s making me so uncertain? I’ve binged less-interesting stuff on Netflix, including Cowboy Bebop. Why the cold feet?

I think it’s the time commitment. I currently have two part-time jobs, and I’m pretty busy when I’m not working. Additionally, One Piece isn’t something I have a previous attachment with. It’s not like Cowboy Bebop, where the anime’s one of my all-time favourites. This is something I have passing knowledge about, have seen bits-and-pieces of, yet never really got attached to. If I have cold feet, it’s because I have nothing to compare it to.

I’m also not the most-adventurous consumer. I don’t like stepping out of my comfort zone, and new stuff scares me. Perhaps it’s childish, but a part of me feels like I’m protesting in silence. It doesn’t matter if Netflix bypassed my biggest concerns, I’m reluctant to try it. That’s what this boils down to.

Perhaps that’s silly. Perhaps it’s ignorant. Perhaps I’m so closed-minded about this show that it’ll make those reading this feel gross. Perhaps I’m also overthinking this. Perhaps this is all true.

But perhaps that’s also not unrealistic? I’m not being held at gunpoint, even if only figuratively, so the stakes are low. Nevertheless, Netflix’s releasing schedule means I’d be late to the party, as the show’s been out for a while. And while that shouldn’t stop me, as I started watching Stranger Things late too, a part of me feels like the ship has sailed. (Excuse the pun.)

Nevertheless, I should probably give it a shot. After all, the first season’s available, and there’s no harm in watching it, so…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)