Monday, May 16, 2022

"Cinema is Dying!"

Let’s do this!


I’m an MCU fan. I’m not someone who thinks the movies are untouchable masterpieces, but I generally vibe with the overall franchise. I recognize the films’ flaws, and they’re not the best action movies out there, but there’s a charm that comes with watching each entry. Basically, I know what I’m getting into.

Still, while I think film enthusiasts are too hard on the franchise, and I sometimes feel like they’re dumping their baggage, I’m not unwilling to criticize it. Case in point: the Tweet that went viral for highlighting 70 screenings of Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness in a day. I initially had many thoughts, but I decided it wasn’t worth writing about this. That is, to say, until I watched this video:

Interesting… (Courtesy of Karsten Runquist.)

I have no qualms with Karsten as a YouTuber. He makes fine videos, even if I don’t agree with him often. Yet his talking points remind me of the hardened cynicism online. I know this is an unfair generalization, but there’s an unsettling vibe coming from film nerds that says “The MCU sucks, and you should feel bad for liking it” without actually saying it. It’s not always intentional, or direct, but it reeks of a “Holier than thou” mindset. It almost makes me hate myself for liking movies, too.

While Karsten’s bitterness is duly-noted, even if bringing up Martin Scorsese feels like a low blow, I do agree that 70 screenings in one day is excessive. This is AMC in Times Square, hence they can still showcase other movies effectively, but 70 showings is ridiculous even with a massive blockbuster. You don’t need to strong-arm the film industry, and it makes Disney look insecure. Then again, it’s not surprising…

While “alarming”, a lot of the backlash created from this is misdirected. This should really be an easy call-out of Disney’s monopolistic practices. However, much of the pushback is directed at filmgoers for issues they’re not responsible for. Criticizing a corporation is easy and worth it. But a consumer? Someone with an actual life? Isn’t that a little gross?

There are a few issues worth deconstructing, but I’ll focus on three. (And no, theatre tickets being exorbitantly-priced won’t be one of them, as I’ve already gone in-depth about that.)

The first issue is moviegoers not watching enough other movies. The average Joe only sees the same 4 or 5 movies a year, and they’re almost all MCU entries. Sometimes, they might even see the same movie multiple times in a row, like that person in The Guinness Book of Records for most Spider-Man: No Way Home viewings. This might seem reasonable to bring up, but it’s a form of gatekeeping. It’s also not fair.

See, life…kind of sucks. Work’s long and stressful, reality’s tearing itself apart, and the average person often feels like they’re not in control of anything. Escapism is a healthy way to cope with that. And with the choices that art has, there are many ways to do it. Movies are one such way.

However, it’s subjective and personal. If someone prefers Movie A or Movie B, that’s their choice. And if they want to watch it frequently, assuming they actually can, that’s also their choice. It’s not up to someone else to discourage or dissuade them, even if they disagree. Movie experiences are different for everyone, and it’s no one’s business how someone spends their time with them. (Provided they’re not hurting anyone.)

I’ve seen film nerds gate-keep how people enjoy MCU films. “Don’t watch the same movies over and over, it’s not healthy!” You know what’s also not healthy? Parenting people’s tastes. Also, so what if they want to watch them over and over? Are you the film police?

I know the reverse is also true, but acting like an expert on what’s good for others only works when you’re in medicine. Even then, not all medical practitioners are good at what they do. If I want to rewatch an MCU movie, that’s my choice. And if you don’t want to watch an MCU movie, guess what? That’s your choice! But don’t make it my problem.

The second issue is complaining that the average moviegoer is missing out by only watching MCU entries. This is a sympathetic argument; after all, there are many non-MCU movies! Some are even better than the yearly MCU offerings! Wouldn’t it make sense to give them a chance? Yes, but…

Remember that movie tastes are personal and subjective. I’m a self-professed “film omnivore”, as I’ll watch anything, but I’m also an anomaly. And with the pandemic making moviegoing dangerous, I’ve had to cut back on going to the theatre for financial and health reasons. It’s made a big difference on how I view the experience, as I now understand why most people don’t go so often (y’know, aside from tickets being expensive.)

I get wanting to expand your palate, but it’s not feasible to watch everything. Yes, Everything Everywhere All At Once is probably fantastic! And yes, I’d love to see it in theatres! But no, it’s not practical right now, and that needs respecting. Besides, I plan to see it when it comes out on streaming, and isn’t that valid? Or is that “ruining cinema”?

This leads to my third and final issue, that being about how no one knows about other movies because Disney and theatre chains won’t let them. This is both a good point, and a misguided one. For one, that’s an issue with the higher-ups, not with patrons. And two, that’s not an excuse to discredit a patron’s tastes. Like I said, film tastes are personal and subjective, and it’s not anyone’s place to dictate them. Besides, like I also said, criticize Disney for that.

I understand peoples’ frustration. I’m old enough to remember when original IPs got wide releases, so long as they had a credible director’s name attached. In the last decade, I’ve seen that change as theatres have become less-conducive to regular attendance. But that doesn’t give anyone an excuse to be a gatekeeper. Remember, my tastes are equally as valid as yours!

Besides, what if the movies you want me to watch don’t interest me? Ignoring Birdman, I’ve seen several of these “preferable” movies. And guess what? I was unimpressed over or cold toward most of them. The ones I liked…okay, thanks for the recommendations. But those were rare.

Ultimately, film nerds need to stop punching down while addressing the modern film landscape. Cinemas are in trouble, and the 70-screening controversy’s a microcosm of why. But that’s no excuse to trash people’s tastes in film. If you really want to make a difference, then guide people to those movies you think deserve love. And, most-importantly, don’t insult them. It’s easy to talk at people, but it’s harder to talk to them.

Alternatively, you can ignore me and continue perpetuating the stigma of “elitist film nerd”. Your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)