Friday, October 9, 2020

Soul Food

A few days ago I shared my concerns about Barry Jenkins directing the sequel to the remake of The Lion King. It made me feel bad, especially in light of this year’s film cycle. I’d like to balance that by discussing something more upbeat and exciting. Let’s talk Soul


In May of this year, which feels like eons now, I wrote a collab ranking Pixar films. It was nice gushing about them, but it felt premature knowing Soul was slated to release later this year. At the time, the movie had been delayed from Summer 2020 to late-Fall 2020 because of COVID, which was disappointing. But with The US botching its pandemic response and the failure of Tenet at the box-office, it was increasingly-unlikely that a November release date would happen at all. Cut to now, October 2020, and the movie’s been moved to Disney+.

This feels like both an inevitability and a victory for Disney+ fans. Not only was Soul coming to theatres increasingly looking like a bad decision, especially in-light of Disney’s financial losses and mass-layoffs, but even if it got one it’d probably still have bombed financially. There was also the possibility of delaying it to next year, but it might’ve crowded out Pixar’s 2021 venture. Naturally, Disney went with the only sensible option.

As for this being a victory for Disney+ fans? Well, it kinda is. This is a Pixar offering, and one from the director of Monsters, Inc., Up and Inside Out. Expectations were already high as is, and the odds were stacked in its favour to be one of the year’s best (though that could change upon release, you never know!) By releasing it on Disney+, which has been in need of exciting and fresh content post-Season 1 of The Mandalorian, you fill the void immediately. That it’s not sharing the same fate as Mulan and its up-charge helps. 

Win or not, I can’t help being disappointed that Soul won’t get the big-screen treatment. To reiterate what I said a short while ago:
"There’s something special about seeing movies in theatres. Sure, TVs have gotten to be so advanced that you can simulate the experience in your home, and TV movies/shows have, in many ways, rivalled the theatre experience recently. But it’s not the same. There’s something special about purchasing a ticket, buying overpriced concessions and cramming into an auditorium with dozens of people for 2 hours. There’s a certain energy there that you can’t really replicate."
It doesn’t help that Disney movies, Pixar included, are tailor-made for theatre releases. Something about them radiates “made for the big screen” energy, be it the laughs, tears or genuine applause. Basically, when a Disney movie’s funny, the audience laughs collectively. When a Disney’s movie sad, the audience cries collectively. And when a Disney movie’s exciting, well…you know.

It’s a shame we won’t have that with Soul, a movie focused, like with Inside Out, on existentialism through the abstract (in this case, life and death). That’s already pretty interesting, but seeing it in theatres? Talk about amazing! Yet we’re not getting that now. And that saddens me. 

I don’t want to bum everyone out for too long, since I want this to be light, so I’ll steer back on track with the following question: am I excited for Soul? Yes. Yes I am. It’s Pixar, and its premise is intriguing. Those two components are enough to make it worthwhile. That it’s coming to Disney+, which I have a subscription to now, is a bonus.

This is also how entertainment’s going to operate for the next while, especially as long as the pandemic drags on. It’s not like we have much of a choice, what with so many movies getting pushed to next year or being quietly moved to streaming. Like it or not, streaming’s the future. It only makes sense, therefore, to capitalize on that, and what better time than during a pandemic?

I’m not complaining. I have no intentions of going to a movie theatre any time soon, especially if it means risking my life, so this is a safer alternative. Plus, it means saving money for endeavours like getting my book published. Because that’ll be costly.                                 

So yes, I’m excited for Soul on Disney+ this December. I’m excited to finally watch it, and I’m excited to do so without a premium. But, most-importantly, I’m excited to watch it without putting my life at risk. And isn’t that what matters most? 

***

Hi everyone! A quick update: remember in my Castle in the Sky analysis piece when I hinted at an upcoming project with a friend? That friend, sadly, had to back out due to a scheduling conflict. Fortunately, I’ve found a replacement, so it’s still happening. The only difference is that this has pushed the project back a few weeks. So still expect it, but a little late.

In the meantime, stay safe, wash your hands regularly, wear a mask and try not to die if you can help it. No matter how stressful the world is, I have faith that you’ll persevere. Until then, keep reading and I hope to see you all again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)