Monday, August 24, 2020

TenNOT!

My name is Zachary Perlmutter, and I’m not watching Tenet in theatres. 


I feel weird saying that. I like Christopher Nolan’s work. The Dark Knight is one of my favourite movies, and I’ve yet to skip a theatre release of his films since then. But I can’t do it. And that can be blamed on COVID-19.

For those who’ve been living under a rock, 2020 has been an unusual year. Normally, the Summer months would be bustling and fun, especially for movies. This year, however, it’s been quiet and dull. Thanks to a global pandemic, the world’s in a state of semi-hibernation as world leaders have tried, sometimes unsuccessfully, to isolate the spread of the virus. It’s stressful, and it’s made going to the movies, which I’ve done for years, high-risk. Way too high-risk, honestly.

It’s upsetting to say that. For one, I live in Canada. Unlike The US, which has seen infections in the millions, Canada’s been pretty proactive. We instituted a country-wide lockdown in late-March, and we’ve been reintroducing aspects of life as everything’s improved. We’ve also, in Toronto at least, made masks and social distancing mandatory, which has helped contain the spread. Has it been perfect? No, but it’s been a lot better than what The US has been doing (or not doing).

And two, I’ve been looking forward to Tenet for months. It was one of my most-anticipated movies of Summer 2020, alongside Black Widow (which was moved to Disney+) and Soul (which was delayed to November). I’ve wanted to see the movie for ages, so I can’t avoid it now without some sadness. 

I think this was the wrong time to release the movie theatrically. I understand that Nolan and Warner Bros. want a Summer 2020 release. I also know that the movie-going experience is much purer in theatres than on home video or streaming. But why risk it? Why put your health in danger for a 2 hour and 31 minute action movie? It doesn’t add up.

I think Tenet going through with a Summer release right now is a microcosm of everything wrong with 2020. Ignoring how the pandemic is still here, despite it not always feeling that way, a lot of people who want to see the movie probably won’t use proper protocols. Or they might forget and mess up the progress we’ve made so far. True, the theatre chains in Canada have been made aware, hence taking proper precautions. But what good is a theatre experience when it feels minimal? Why go to a showing when you need to wear a mask?

Tenet should’ve been postponed to next year, presumably Summer 2021. That might mean waiting longer, but at least then we might actually have a vaccine ready. It’d also mean hyping up the movie more, increasing sales from people who’d purchased tickets in advance and spread word of mouth. That’s a sensible solution, no? I think so.

If anything, I don’t see Tenet coming out this year as a positive. Ignoring how The US will have a scattered release, which could frustrate sales and lead to mass piracy, it’s not a good strategy. 2020 has been a mess for many reasons, COVID aside. People are tired, stressed and scared. Having a movie release in the height of this seems irresponsible on the part of WB. I don’t say that lightly. 

True, we can’t be shut-ins forever. Sooner or later, hopefully later, we’ll have to face reality like the social animals we are. Sooner or later, we’ll have to adjust despite the pandemic. But I don’t think that’s now. Especially not for an action movie, however good it is.

Perhaps I’m projecting? I don’t know. I’ve seen how much of the world has reacted to the pandemic. I’ve seen the death tolls, the protests, the gaslighting by political figures too arrogant to see the harm they’re doing. COVID’s also exposed every crack in the foundation of society, from wealth inequality to racial inequality, and it’s concerning. Now’s not a good time for a tentpole release. 

So why are we having one? Why risk the lives of moviegoers, some with preexisting conditions, for the sake of “bang-bang-boom”? Why right now? It’s bad enough that I can’t cough in my own room without feeling guilty, or go for a walk without immediately washing my hands when I return. I’m in full paranoia mode in private, I don’t need that in public too.

Not everyone will agree with me on this, and that’s okay. You do what’s comfortable for you. But this doesn’t make it any less-stressful for me, and I’m not chancing an infection over something that’ll most-likely be on streaming and video in a few weeks anyway. It doesn’t justify putting my life at risk, as disheartened as I am.

So yes, I refuse to see Tenet in theatres. I’m sorry to have to disappoint you with that statement.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)