I’d quip about how we went from bad to worse, but I’m too exhausted by this ordeal. Because while the Disney-Fox merger was bad, it wasn’t steered by the least-likeable CEO in Hollywood. If you’re confused as to whether or I’m referring to David Zaslav or David Ellison, the answer is “yes”. To both. Either way, however bitter I was over Disney acquiring 20th Century Fox, my bitterness is amplified here. And it’s not unjustified.
Warner Bros. Discovery being up for sale was going to be a disaster regardless. Corporate mergers rarely are good for creativity, and the people who suffer most are always the grunt workers. However, while Netflix acquiring it wasn’t a great option, at least Ted Sarandos respects the artistic process. Netflix has had many issues with how it’s run, but it also has relatively-solid output. It isn’t afraid to take genuine risks that bigger studios wouldn’t. We’ve seen that with its biggest hit of the decade.
While WB would’ve had major restructuring under Netflix, there was a chance that it’d remain semi-independent. Under Paramount that doesn’t appear to be so. Especially since David Ellison’s made his personal politics and allegiances known. True, one of the conditions of merging was that CNN and HBO had to be left alone, but do you really think Ellison will keep his word? Because I have a rickety bridge to sell you.
It’s a piss-poor reflection on politicians like Gavin Newsom that this was even cleared. Newsom’s vying for the presidency in 2028, and he’s been making off-putting decisions in the lead-up. Approving this merger is one of them, despite heavy pushback from people in the industry. Then again, when push comes to shove, money wins over integrity. It happened with Disney purchasing Fox.
There’s a lot of blame to go around. Politicians aside, Ellison’s handled this really immaturely. Whether it’s claiming that people were only critical because he’s Jewish, or threatening to leave California if the merger wasn’t approved, I never thought I could despise a CEO more. Then again, considering his many scandals, one of which I’ve addressed before, I guess it shouldn’t be surprising. You have to mess up pretty badly to get me to side with John Cusack, especially given his blatantly-Antisemitic views.
Ellison’s politics is one of the reasons I’m unhappy about this. It sounds petty, but he’s made it clear that anyone who doesn’t get in line is fit for the chopping block. We saw that with Melissa Barrera. And while Hollywood has plenty of bigots, some openly, Ellison doesn’t have the tact or sensitivity to handle them. Even on the Jewish side, we’ve had enough baggage for three years without misguided CEOs making everything worse.
Speaking of, David Zaslav isn’t guiltless. With the way he managed WB, complete with obnoxious tax write-offs, he has no sympathy from me. He’s why WB’s in this current situation at all, which says plenty given how the studio was handled before he became CEO. So yes, Zaslav gets no brownie points for stepping down from his position, especially given who’s taking his place. That he feels no remorse doesn’t help.
If it sounds like I’m being overly-pessimistic, it’s not without warrant. I’ve seen how the business side of Hollywood has ruined the creative side. Whether it’s corporate consolidations, a lack of risk, anti-competitive measures or exorbitant ticket prices, it feels like the movie industry’s at its breaking point. And yes, maybe giving my money to these giant corporations to watch movies “isn’t helping”. But guess what? Life’s hard enough without me being deprived a few hours of joy. Can’t I have that?
I know there’s a lot about the business side of Hollywood I don’t know about. I’m not business-savvy, and I barely understand finances. But that doesn’t mean this isn’t bad news. Especially since I’ve seen how these sorts of mergers have been detrimental with Disney and Fox. Never mind the public-facing nonsense that’s been aired, some of which I do understand!
I also know I’m sounding like those doom-heavy video essays YouTube. You know, the ones that pine for nostalgic Hollywood, ignoring its many problems? I get it, and it makes me ill. However, sometimes being honest means facing reality, even when it comes off as pessimistic. I can only do so much.
In the end, there’s only so much I can do. I know that James Gunn and Peter Safran are staying as heads of The DCU (for now), and it’s not like we’ll see the aftermath of this merger immediately, so I should cherish what little positivity there can be. That’s what I’ll do. Besides, I’m sure I’ll be bellyaching in a few years when WB gets sold again. It’s happened several times, so what’s to stop it from happening again? I’ll keep you updated, but in the meantime…well, that’s all I can really say. I only hope you’ll forgive me for being so pessimistic.




No comments:
Post a Comment