Every so often, a YouTube video’s clickbait title’s so bizarre that I’m tempted to watch it. Such is the case with this video:
Hmm… (Courtesy of Elliot Frame.)
I have nothing personal against Elliot. He argues his points fine, but something about this title, and the essay itself, feels…pretentious. Like another attack of modern filmmaking from someone yearning for past cinema. I don’t like that. Particularly, I don’t like the implication that modern movies “feel written”. Here’s why:
Firstly, the title’s misleading. “Why Movies Feel Written Now”? What does that mean? All movies “feel written”? I assure you the average WGA member would take offence to that claim. Not only are they not respected by the studio system, especially with the advent of A.I., but claiming their work “feels written” as an insult is really snobbish. I’m sorry, it is.
But even if you took the claim that “movies feel written now” at face value? It still falls completely flat. Compared to what, exactly? Older movies? Because a classic like The Matrix feels incredibly written. Like, to the point of being incredibly exposition-heavy. I enjoy that movie, but it’s as “feels written” as you’re going to get, even when juxtaposed with modern-day action films.
It doesn’t have to stop there! Every action movie released since Jaws feels “written”. It’s the nature of the genre. The first ever Star Wars movie feels so “written” that the cast and crew improvised lines and mocked George Lucas. That’s “invisible writing”? Because if so…
I know what’s really going on. Considering the examples mentioned in this video, I can’t help wondering if Elliot has a particular type of movie he likes: indie dramas. I like some of those movies too, but they’re meant to vibe with a different writing style. Action movies usually resort to stock archetypes, even when they’re executed well. Indie dramas, however, are populated with characters that feel real, despite being creations for the silver screen. That doesn’t make them feel any “less written”.
But even with the assumption that indie dramas feel more organic, that’s not true either. Elliot highlights the ending to Lost in Translation, a movie about two Americans committing adultery in Japan, specifically. They form an authentic relationship, true, but it still “feels written”. Even the ending conversation is deliberately ambiguous. That’s not organic, but rather carefully calculated on the part of Sofia Coppola.
I know what’s really going on. Considering the examples mentioned in this video, I can’t help wondering if Elliot has a particular type of movie he likes: indie dramas. I like some of those movies too, but they’re meant to vibe with a different writing style. Action movies usually resort to stock archetypes, even when they’re executed well. Indie dramas, however, are populated with characters that feel real, despite being creations for the silver screen. That doesn’t make them feel any “less written”.
But even with the assumption that indie dramas feel more organic, that’s not true either. Elliot highlights the ending to Lost in Translation, a movie about two Americans committing adultery in Japan, specifically. They form an authentic relationship, true, but it still “feels written”. Even the ending conversation is deliberately ambiguous. That’s not organic, but rather carefully calculated on the part of Sofia Coppola.
I guess I’m annoyed because movies, by design, are about emotional manipulation. They’re basically propaganda, subtly and not-so-subtly pushing specific feelings and lessons on the audience. It’s why so many get flack for heavily including military technology and strong police presences: it sends a message to the audience about both of them. That doesn’t mean the audience has to accept it, and it for sure doesn’t make the movies “bad”, but it’s a choice. It “feels written”, too.
The title of Elliot’s essay “feels written” as an attack on modern filmmaking. I understand saying that modern movies “spell out the motives of characters”, as opposed to leaving it up to interpretation, but even then I disagree. Moviemaking has evolved since its inception, even if the basic techniques haven’t, and stories have changed as our understanding of reality has changed. Ideas and concepts that were accepted 50 years ago aren’t accepted now, and ideas and concepts that are accepted now probably won’t be in 50 years. That’s called “changing sensibilities”, and while older films should be respected for what they achieved, that doesn’t mean modern movies pale to them.
If Elliot wanted to reflect his thesis, that big-budget writing feels less authentic than indie writing, he should’ve said that upfront. But I get why he didn’t: YouTube’s algorithm. Clickbait-y titles grab the viewer’s attention, after all! It’s why my titles have gotten shorter and punchier over the years. Besides, would you rather have a long-winded, nuanced header, or something quick and provocative?
The title of Elliot’s essay “feels written” as an attack on modern filmmaking. I understand saying that modern movies “spell out the motives of characters”, as opposed to leaving it up to interpretation, but even then I disagree. Moviemaking has evolved since its inception, even if the basic techniques haven’t, and stories have changed as our understanding of reality has changed. Ideas and concepts that were accepted 50 years ago aren’t accepted now, and ideas and concepts that are accepted now probably won’t be in 50 years. That’s called “changing sensibilities”, and while older films should be respected for what they achieved, that doesn’t mean modern movies pale to them.
If Elliot wanted to reflect his thesis, that big-budget writing feels less authentic than indie writing, he should’ve said that upfront. But I get why he didn’t: YouTube’s algorithm. Clickbait-y titles grab the viewer’s attention, after all! It’s why my titles have gotten shorter and punchier over the years. Besides, would you rather have a long-winded, nuanced header, or something quick and provocative?
Look, I’m a writer too. I’m currently working on a 13-chapter manuscript for a book I finished almost 4 years ago. Writing stories isn’t easy, as there are many variables and moving parts that have to fit together. Screenwriting’s no different. And even once the script’s ready, there are still changes and rewrites made before the movie’s released. That’s part of the job. Yet it absolutely “feels written”.
This video essay feels like another shameless jab at modern Hollywood filmmaking. And yes, there are many issues with how Hollywood’s run nowadays. However, taking it out on the screenwriters is dishonest. It’s also a bad way to get noticed, something Elliot clearly seems to be interested in. Because trust me, people take note.




No comments:
Post a Comment