Thursday, May 18, 2023

The Good Surgeon?

I always find it amusing when internet nerds are reminded that reality has different tastes than them: Game of Thrones? The finale was disappointing, but people still embraced a spin-off. Yellowstone? It’s the most popular series with the over-40 crowd. Law & Order? People really like that show!


Such is the case with The Good Doctor, from the creator of House. It’s been in syndication for years and stars Freddie Highmore as an Autistic surgeon named Shaun. Shaun’s whole quirk is being brilliant at what he does, yet lacking social intelligence. I’ll give the show credit for attempting to highlight Autism Spectrum Disorder, but when you have Autism in real-life, the frequent recommendations from friends and family can give you panic attacks. I get it, can you leave me alone? Oh…you want to suggest it again?

While I’ve been inundated for years, I’ve also been reluctant to get on board because something felt off. Fortunately, the conversation was a nonstarter online…until now. It’s not for positive reasons, either. It’s fitting that a show the internet’s never heard of penetrates the online bubble due to controversy. And not the good kind.

A little while ago, it put Shaun in a position where he’d operate on a trans woman. While normal shows would treat this like no big deal, for Shaun this was a problem because the person can’t be a woman due to “science”. And after protesting and badgering the patient, as well as leaving the operating room, he’s fired by the head doctor, Dr. Han, for a violation of The Hippocratic Oath. Rather than be introspective, Shaun has a meltdown. Specifically, he whines about how “I am a surgeon!” with tears in his eyes.

As expected, this went viral, with many using it to mock Highmore’s performance and the writing of the scene. Initially, I wasn’t sure what to make of it: yes, what Shaun did was wrong. Even if some ASD individuals behave like him in real-life, trans-ness is one of the few grey areas we largely accept and embrace. And even when we don’t, it’s less ideological and more confusion. Shaun has no excuse.

That being said, it’s unfortunate that an Autistic meltdown is now the butt of jokes. Make no mistake, Autistic meltdowns aren’t funny. I don’t have them often anymore, at least not outwardly, but they’re a coping mechanism. When someone has one, they need empathy. So turning Shaun’s meltdown into a joke, despite reeking of privilege, helps no one. This also isn’t the first time he’s had one, either. Why’s this the tipping point?

Whatever, this was about bad writing. I was willing to let it go…until I discovered that Highmore supported Autism Speaks. You know, the organization Autistic people largely shun because of their ableist views? It was bad enough that Sesame Street consulted the organization for their first Autistic character, but Highmore? Someone who should know better? Especially since he’s playing an Autistic character, despite not being Autistic? Why endorse Autism Speaks?

This goes back to the longstanding problem with Autism portrayals in media. We’re usually reduced to stock, shallow representations, with frustrating results. And when the portrayal’s more “accurate”, it’s usually coded, not spelled-out and acted by someone who isn’t Autistic. In other words, you get a Drax or Mantis on a good day, and Shaun on a bad day. It’s maddening, and consulting Autism Speaks doesn’t help.

Perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised that Highmore’s an Autism Speaks advocate; after all, he’s not Autistic! He wouldn’t, therefore, know who to consult or support. But outside of that, I’m disappointed that an actor I like would endorse low-hanging fruit. Perhaps it’s unreasonable, but why do so many actors shoot their credibility in the foot? Is it because money’s a corrupting force?

I’m at a loss. Even ignoring my thoughts on Shaun, or The Good Doctor in general, I find this conversation upsetting and obnoxious. It doesn’t help that House was the better-written series over a decade ago, despite having an episode that was even more transphobic. It could be the Sherlock Holmes influence there, I don’t know. Or that the show-runner doesn’t understand Autism. I’m inconclusive on that.

Regardless, now that the genie’s out of the bottle, I’ll get my thoughts on The Good Doctor out of the way: I don’t have any interest in it. Its portrayal of Autism, from what I’ve seen, is shallow and simplistic, and many of its conflicts are juvenile. I also think Highmore has a really annoying, almost robotic voice that routinely pulls me out. I actually struggled not to laugh during his “I am a surgeon!” outburst for that reason.

As for the internet only recently discovering this show, I should remind them to get outside more. The internet might be good for closed discussions, but that’s the key: closed discussions. It’s not an expert on serious conversations because it’s not a good metric, and this includes representation of Autism. I get that Autistic individuals are diverse, but this is a good time to stop and listen to them about Shaun. It’s the only way for the conversation to move forward.

Also, the internet should realize that the masses have different tastes than them. This even includes syndicated TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)