Sunday, October 18, 2020

Super Cynicism

I’m not a fan of my last post. My issue wasn’t my points, which I still agree with, but that it came off too strong. That, and it bummed me out post-facto. So let’s lighten the mood and discuss something more fun and exciting. Let’s talk superhero fatigue


Superhero movies have been around for a while. One can argue that they existed pre-Superman: The Movie. Yet while they really took off in the 21st Century, thanks to X-Men and Spider-Man, only within the last decade have people started complaining about their dominance in Hollywood. More specifically, it’s only post-The Avengers in 2012 that people started complaining. Given that movie’s dominance in the pop culture zeitgeist since, that’s unsurprising.

My issue isn’t with the complaints per se. I don’t take umbrage with people not liking superhero movies as a concept. I have issues with these movies too, as I’ve stated in the past. Rather, my concerns are over the nasty and cynical backlash from film fans, that they’re “awful because they’re juvenile”. That’s what bugs me.

Perhaps the best example comes with the recent news that Season 2’s finale of The Boys had a moment mocking the A-Force homage in The Avengers: Endgame. For those not in the know, that’s where all the female Avengers line-up within the frame during the battle with Thanos. It’s a neat moment in a battle filled with them, but people are definitely split on it. Personally, I’m split on it as well. 

The parody rings hollow not because a woman approved it, but because it cheapens the mood of the scene. Not only was said moment about a superheroine fighting a fascist, it also doesn’t feel like a sincere parody. The Boys may be a deconstruction of superhero reverence, but this goes beyond that. It, rather, feels like an attack on a moment of intrigue in another action film. It’s also unneeded cynicism. And I don’t like that.

It doesn’t help that this opened the doors for people to air their unneeded dirty laundry about The MCU on Twitter again. Because I see lots of ill-founded discourse on superhero films, and I’m tired of it. They’re made out to be blights by detractors because of their dominance, when it’s far more complicated in reality. And I really do mean more complicated. As in, “this is an issue with Hollywood in general, not superhero movies specifically” levels of complicated.

It’s almost as if people are shouting down a moviegoer’s right to enjoy something. Remember, life’s frustrating. The world’s a mess right now, and it’ll most-likely remain one for a while. But even before the pandemic, there was an energy to seeing movies in theatres that, aside from being a distraction from life’s problems, made the experience worthwhile. So what if that also comes from superhero movies? They’re not hurting anyone specifically, are they? 

A while back, I wrote a piece about the populist appeal of The MCU. I likened the franchise to Shakespeare, as he also wrote entertainment for the lowest common-denominator. And, like The MCU, he routinely was thought of as “commoner’s trash”, despite writing plays for The Queen of England. We think of him highly now, but that’s several centuries of hindsight. The superhero movie, frustrating though it may be at times, is no different.

We can argue superhero films for days. We can discuss their cool moments. We can debate their racism and sexism. We can talk about their neoliberal politics. We can even bicker over which studio makes better movies. But, in the end, it doesn’t matter. They still fill a populist niche, and they’ll continue to do so for a while.

I think we need to step back and realize that being overly-snobby and cynical isn’t helpful or healthy. Does Hollywood have issues worth fixing? Yes, though they’re not simply superhero-related. Is it a crime to criticize them? No, I do it all the time! But being an Anton Ego isn’t the solution. Because remember, Anton Ego was defeated by ratatouille, a “peasant’s dish”. 

I know I won’t change anyone’s mind with this. Nor do I intend to. You’re entitled to think what you will about entertainment, irrespective of what others may say. But being nasty isn’t helpful. Nor is belittling someone. That simply makes you rude and selfish, and no one likes that.

As for that parody in The Boys, I can’t help but find it insulting. Was the moment with the A-Force lacking? A little, if we’re being honest. But I don’t think it was worth mocking either. Not only do many A-Force-like moments already exist in superhero movies, particularly in team-up films, but most are male-centric. The fact that the female versions of those shots are expected to walk on water to justify their existence comes off as sexist. And this is despite franchises like The MCU currently struggling with female representation.

So yes, cut the scene some slack and dial back the cynicism. We have enough problems without either of those getting in the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)