Monday, June 20, 2022

Everything and Nothing

This is the story of my never-ending-yet-unsuccessful quest to watch Everything Everywhere All at Once.


It began when the movie was announced in 2021. I remember seeing the trailer and being intrigued: a high-concept action film with the budget of an indie feature? And one starring Michelle Yeoh? And it actually looks fun? Count me in!

I was so intrigued that, despite immediately forgetting about it, when it came to theatres and received rave reviews, I was pumped! An indie movie darling that looked interesting! No Birdman pretentiousness here! When can I watch it?

Well…not right away. Several years ago I wrote about a Jewish period of self-reflection called The Omer. This film came out during its first 33 days, during which I don’t see movies in theatres. The exception is Yom Ha’atzmaut, or Israeli Independence Day, as any and all rules of are waived for 24 hours. Perhaps I could watch it then? I waited, even looking online to see if my local theatre was screening it. It was.

Okay, so I had a day and time. I arrived at the theatre, went to the ticket booth…and found out that I’d confused the showing with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. One facepalm later, I watched that instead. (You can read my thoughts here.) Regardless, my window of opportunity was gone until Lag BaOmer.

Unfortunately, Lag BaOmer didn’t help. Because I have a monthly budget I try not going over, and because it’s pretty low, I had to make a choice: do I shell out $15.26 for Everything Everywhere All at Once, or do I rent Belle on YouTube for a fraction of the price? Since I’d also wanted to see Belle for a while, I went for it. Because a Mamoru Hosoda movie’s always worth my time.

Fine, my movie budget was used up. Surely I’d see the film in June, right?

Sufficed to say, tragedy struck. My Zaidy passed away on Shavuot morning. Not only did his death derail family plans, it dampened my mood too. Suddenly, I no longer had a desire for movies. I barely even had a desire to write, hence the absence in content. Given my family situation, the theatre would’ve made me feel guilty. So scratch that!

I didn’t do anything fun for the next week and a bit. But the desire to watch Everything Everywhere All at Once didn’t subside, so I waited. And waited. Until I had the desire to watch movies again. I went to go see if it was still in theatres…and it wasn’t. The Cineplex Store was also charging more for a purchase than a theatre ticket, with no rentals. The alternative was Amazon Prime, and I wasn’t getting a subscription for one movie.

A moviegoing experience was officially impossible. But what about a purchase? If the movie was good as everyone said, then it was worth the buy, right? You’d think so, but the only place stocking it, Amazon, was initially $45 for a DVD print (though it’s decreased since). I’m not shelling out $45 for a DVD! Besides, the movie wasn’t even shipping until July. So, once again, I was forced to skip it.

Which leads to now, and the dilemma I’m currently faced with. On one hand, I can buy Everything Everywhere All at Once and miss either Lightyear or Thor: Love and Thunder depending on the month. On the other hand, I can see both Lightyear and Thor: Love and Thunder, but it’d mean forgoing Everything Everywhere All at Once. Either way, something gives. And either way, I’m not satisfied.

You’re probably wondering why I’m telling you all of this. It’s actually quite simple: I can only do so much. I’m limited financially when it comes to movies, which are no longer cheap anyway. So watching Everything Everywhere All at Once right now isn’t feasible.

This also goes back to my frustration with the claim that “people don’t watch movies in cinemas anymore”. Ignoring how awful the theatregoing experience has become, juggling life with entertainment’s getting increasingly difficult. I have two part-time jobs, and my free time is shrinking. I also can’t drive, which limits my ability to travel. Factor in that life keeps throwing curveballs, and is it any wonder that I’m selective about what I watch? Is it any wonder why I gravitate to Marvel movies, regardless of quality?

You can flaunt how much you love Everything Everywhere All at Once. You can boast how it’s a masterpiece to my face. And you can make video essays discussing it on YouTube. You can do all of that, and more. But if I can’t actually watch it, then why bother? I’m not Superman.

I wish that Everything Everywhere All at Once was readily available to watch without hassle. It’s not, though. It might be amazing, but until I can sit down and judge it for myself, I’ll be unable to be part of that conversation. And Lord knows how I want to be!

So that’s my story about the never-ending-yet-unsuccessful quest to watch Everything Everywhere All at Once. Was it comprehensive?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)