Friday, November 8, 2019

Junk Drawer: Nazis, Streamers and Predators

Contemplation in 3…2...1…GO!


I finally saw Jojo Rabbit in theatres. This was after waiting weeks for its official release window. It seemed like a movie that’d get people talking, especially after it was almost shelved. Plus, it was a satirical drama about Nazi Germany, one showing said Nazis as reckless, incompetent oafs! What’s not to love?

Naturally, it was really enjoyable. I wouldn’t call it amazing, I don’t think it’s as good as the director’s previous movie, but it definitely did the trick. It even harkened back to The Producers on some levels, originating from the mind of a Jew and mocking the pretentiousness of Hitlerism without feeling vapid. That’s not to everyone’s liking, but I dug it!

I think the film’s biggest draw, aside from its premise, is that it melds sympathy with mockery expertly. Holocaust movies are so often super-serious, as they’re award-grabbers, but Jojo Rabbit takes the opposite approach. And yet it’s equally compelling: you loathe what comes out of Jojo’s mouth, as well as some of his decisions, but the movie never stops reminding you that he’s a kid. He’s as much a product of brainwashing as he is struggling to find his way. So even while you laugh at how ignorant he sounds, you still understand why he sounds that way.

This is also what one of Jojo Rabbit’s contemporaries, Inglourious Basterds, failed at. I’ve made no secret that I’m not terribly fond of that movie, and part of that’s because it makes me uncomfortable. The movie wants me to cheer at the carnage of Nazis because “evil”, but I don’t find that they behave like Nazis at all. I, honestly, think that the Jewish heroes are more Nazi-like in that film.

Jojo Rabbit never has that issue. It’s a farce that’s often funny, sometimes moving and occasionally unsettling. It knows what it is, in order words. And it has a Jew playing Jojo’s imaginary friend, Adolf Hitler. You have to admire how gutsy that is.


Did you hear the one about Disney+? Yeah, it’s coming out in under a week! And it’s only $7 US a month! Isn’t that crazy? I think so!

There’s been a lot of talk about Disney+ ever since it was officially unveiled at The D23 Expo. Finally, a streaming service curated for Disney content! And for such a steal! This’d sound like something novel…were it not for Netflix already existing. And Amazon Prime. And soon to be HBO Max, not to mention the dozens of other services.

Honestly, I’m concerned. Ignoring how the three services that appeal to me most-Netflix, Disney+ and HBO Max-cost approximately $35 a month US when combined, the range of options makes keeping up with everything so…well, tedious. It’s good to have competition, yes, but this much? Do these platforms all expect to do well, or only a few? Because I’m not so sure.

It doesn’t help that, aside from killing cable, it makes physical media even more obsolete than it is. Not that I’m complaining, physical media can definitely be a hassle, but there’s something pristine about owning a proprietary format. Not to mention, there’s the issue of ownership. It makes me long for the days of rental chains, as at least you got to ask people for recommendations. And at least you knew you were holding a physical copy of something, limitations and all.

I long for the days of that simplicity. I get that this is where home entertainment is headed, and I can see a few advantages, but it’s not the same as having access to everything with the press of a remote. I was never a fan of how cable packages added useless channels as part of their bundles, but at least you weren’t paying up-the-wazoo for it. Given that the median wage in The US is still $7.25 an hour, charging for all of these streamers separately could also be a deterrent. But I guess that’s capitalism, right?


Speaking of Disney+, I have to mention Jeff Goldblum. Yes, that loveable, huggable Jeff Goldblum. The Jeff Goldblum who, like Christopher Walken and William Shatner, has vocal affectations that are so wacky you can’t help but laugh and enjoy them simultaneously. Yeah, Jeff Goldblum is so-wait, what?! HE DID WHAT?!

Yeah, Jeff Goldblum’s been the talk of the town lately. And not for good reasons, either. In an interview with i newspaper, the Hollywood star much stated that Woody Allen, a man who married his then-underaged daughter, deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the sexual allegations lobbed his way. If that’s not bad enough, he’s also had recent allegations of his own.

Me Too is a tough and often-misunderstood issue, even though it shouldn’t be, so this needs stressing: it’s not about shamelessly lighting fires under famous people’s butts. Victims, women specifically, have nothing to gain, especially in a world where they’re often not believed by the public at large. While some allegations have turned out to be false, most are rooted in genuine frustrations. They’re also rooted in anger at the public for not doing anything.

I know because I’m also a victim of sexual assault. I won’t reiterate my story, but it’s annoying that so many people have written off my trauma. It as if they don’t care, and that hurts. It really does. So I understand why so many people still feel helpless.

Either way, Jeff Goldblum has a lot to answer for. I know he’s slated for a Disney+ documentary series, but, like with John Lasseter and his intros to certain Studio Ghibli films, I can’t watch it now without feeling dirty. I don’t like that, as I’ve always thought of Goldblum as the perfect narrator. But I guess life hates me, so…

I also feel really awful for his victims, assuming these allegations are true, as to be expected. People routinely mention how draining and toxic Hollywood culture is, and this is why. If predators can attack the vulnerable and get away with it, then why bother dealing with entertainment? Why bother doing anything, honestly? What’s the point when people cheat to get ahead?

So yes, goodbye Jeff Goldblum. Goodbye to his filmography, goodbye to his jokes, and especially goodbye to his funny vocal affectations. Goodbye in general, and good riddance! Maybe now we can find female equivalents that are less creepy? I’d like that.

That about wraps up another Junk Drawer episode. Thanks for reading, as always, and I’ll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)