I have no interest in watching The Boys. I had no interest in watching it before it finished syndication, either. For one, it was on a streamer I don’t have. And two, its brand of edgy, “aren’t superheroes obnoxious?” humour doesn’t interest me. I don’t say because I like superheroes, although I do, but because tearing down something simply because it’s popular doesn’t feel good. Besides, Alan Moore did it better.
So we’re clear, I’m not putting down anyone who legitimately likes this show. Finale aside, the people involved really did care, and one of the actresses, Erin Moriarty, was fantastic as Hope Shlottman in Season 1 of Jessica Jones. My issue is about its satire. I also think it’s brought out the worst in its fans, such that Moriarty was harassed online a while back. But I digress.The idea that “popular = bad” is something this show’s thrived on in excess. This is most-exemplified in Homelander, who’s basically Superman/Captain America if he was self-obsessed and annoying. Homelander’s whole deal is that people love him to cult-like degree, even though none of it’s warranted. He revels in the spotlight to avoid accountability for his behaviour, which includes murdering people. I know people revere Superman and Captain America in real life, but not because they’re cynical, self-obsessed man-babies. It’s because they represent the best in humanity, however hard that is.
I’ll use the latest Superman movie to illustrate this. Yes, it has people interrogate him as the genuine article, and he makes occasionally-brash decisions, but Superman only behaves that way because he believes in people. He even tries stopping a genocide, despite doing so aggressively. Superman isn’t about the glory, he’s a boy scout, and Homelander tearing that down is mean-spirited. The same can be said for Captain America, who tries being his nation’s best and doesn’t blindly accept its actions. Another issue I have with The Boys is its call-outs of superhero culture, specifically The MCU. There’s plenty wrong with The MCU, as there is with Disney. But believing it’s wrong for superheroes to be popular because “superheroes” ignores how even soulless corporations can make good, relevant art. The MCU’s mass-produced media, but it tackles themes like blind patriotism, race relations, familial abuse and the limitations of justice. These are all important in this day and age, however you feel about the movies.
The Boys isn’t content with letting these messages resonate, instead tearing down the movies and shows because it feels they’re tacky or shallow. This is best-exemplified by its scathing parody of “Don’t worry…he’s got help!” in The Avengers: Endgame. It’s silly to have every superheroine in The MCU show up in a single shot to help Spider-Man…but does it matter if it’s pandering to female audience members? The moment is fun, the characters get to shine and it’s genuinely exciting seeing them together. It might be “cynically-driven”, but who cares? The Boys did, with its parallel being included because one of its writers thought it was lame. I genuinely think that’s done real harm in popular culture discourse.
However, that’s this show. Never mind the irony of a superhero series failing to self-interrogate, The Boys is content with coasting on tearing down joy associated with superheroes. I don’t like that. I don’t mind dark and edgy when done well, but a little whimsy and joy goes a long way. The world’s cruel enough without genuine moments of wonder being mocked. I also think the energy this show gives off encapsulates what’s wrong with the internet. You know that stereotype of the internet being loud, whiny and needlessly angry? That’s the vibe here. I see enough terminally-online nonsense on social media without a superhero show adding to that. I’d tell this series to go outside and touch grass, but I doubt it’d help. And that’s unfortunate.
Look, my time is precious. I can only stomach so much negativity before it starts weighing me down. It’s why I Unfollowed a popular anime reviewer on Twitter years ago, as, among other problems, he didn’t know how to not be condescending about popular entertainment. I don’t need that, so I cut my losses. I don’t regret it, either.
This series feels like that, but on a grander level. And yes, there are ways to criticize superhero entertainment. But it requires self-introspection, which I don’t think The Boys does. Or if it does, it’s minimal and ineffective. Basically, it needs to try harder. And as for the internet’s adoration in general? Far be it for me to piss on your fun, but I think the unpleasant and snarky behaviour surrounding this series isn’t helpful. The world is a mess right now, and people need outlets for harmless escapism. Superheroes, whether you like them or not, are one such outlet, as they shine a mirror on societal woes and eradicate them with kindness and decency. If that bothers you, then I guess you’re part of the problem. I’m not sorry in the slightest for calling that out.




No comments:
Post a Comment