Saturday, March 11, 2023

Unpacking The Oscars

It’s Oscars season, and the usual buzz is everywhere. Whether it’s the different categories, the bigotry, or talking about how The Oscars have outlived their usefulness, nothing gets people more riled up at this time of year than some incredibly-subjective statues. It begs the question: why do so many people get upset? Really?


My thoughts on The Oscars have mellowed over the last 14 years. If you’d have asked in 2009 what bugged me about them, I’d point to the endless complaining and free press it gave a ceremony the people didn’t like. Nowadays, it tires me out. I watch the ceremony out of habit, but it’s not worth the bile. That’s why I avoid Twitter while it’s on. It’s simply not worth the headache.

Let’s back up a bit. The Academy Awards began as a distraction from the Fatty Arbuckle scandal. Originally short, they’ve since swelled into a big press release. The Oscars are no longer a private, secluded event where Hollywood celebrities gather to hand out trophies. No, they’re a private, secluded event where Hollywood celebrities gather to hand out trophies…but they’re televised now. The Oscars are an event, where people make impromptu speeches.

I’m being cynical, but there’s a good reason. Aside from burnout, as well as endless debates, I don’t see the point in getting mad. The Academy doesn’t care what we think about them. Ignoring the big controversies, many of which are shameless, The Oscars don’t deserve the attention they receive. I say this knowing that their disdain for animation is flagrant, as I’ve no doubt covered on Infinite Rainy Day.

What bothers me more is the holier-than-thou attitude so many of their critics have. I get that there’ll be disappointment and disagreement, but is it worth getting mad? Is it worth mocking the choices as “lame”, or starting your own, equally-painful ceremony in response? Is it worth arguing over merit, given how subjective it is? No.

I’ve always been partial to the choices myself. As a “film omnivore”, I’ll watch anything that appeals to me, including the “snobbish, artsy picks”. Because many of those movies are ignored in the era of tentpole blockbusters and streaming. That they’re highlighted at all gives a certain exposure that wouldn’t happen otherwise, which is good. No one would’ve realized that movies like 12 Years a Slave were more than cheap “Oscar-bait” if they, ironically, weren’t introduced to larger audiences via The Oscars. Even films like Dallas Buyers Club, which I absolutely loved, were on many people’s radar screens because of the ceremony.

Does this mean I agree with every pick? No. I thought Birdman was a slog to sit through, while I’ve made no secret about my disinterest with Mad Max: Fury Road. Both movies received Oscars, demonstrating their appeal. But that’s okay. To paraphrase James Rolfe, The Oscars are a recommendations list.

Think about it: The Oscars a group of people in the industry choosing what they consider the best of the year. And they’re rank-choice. This means that not only are they democratic, they’re picked by individuals. That’s a recommendations list, especially since the stakes are low. You don’t have to agree, but that’s the beauty of recommendations.

My thoughts have changed precisely because I view this as a recommendations list. Sure, many of the picks are trash. But aren’t many of your favourite movies trashy too? Some of mine are, and I admit that! That’s the beauty of recommendations, right?

Besides, every now and then a genuine surprise happens. No one expected Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King to win Best Picture. No one thought the late-Heath Ledger would win as Oscar for The Joker in The Dark Knight. Even Spirited Away winning Best Animated Feature was a genuine shock! These might be “exceptions to the rule”, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t great choices, right?

Personally, complaining about The Oscars feels like the equivalent of getting mad at horse racing. Even if you liked the losing horse, you still got invested. You have yourself to blame, and it’s weird how much over-investment people have despite that. I could also be speaking out of privilege. But I digress...

You can still be mad at the behind-the-scenes politics. Ignoring how The Academy sees anime films as “those Chinese fucking things”, there are weird decisions that go into the picks. The Academy even has an equity problem, something it’s been trying to remedy. These are definitely legitimate concerns. But they’re not talked about nearly as much as the award show, which is subjective anyway.

I’ve been dancing around in circles, switching from topic-to-topic with little connective tissue, but that’s how I view this conversation. And it’s tiring. And tedious. And annoying. And absolutely worth not hiding anymore, hence me writing this at all.

If anything can be taken from here, it’s that The Oscars aren’t worth the bile. They’re too subjective, too shameless and too full of themselves. And people making their own award shows in response aren’t much better. Sure, there’s validity to the closed-door complaining, but that’s closed-door. The overt stuff, like what actually wins, is what get most of the attention, and it’s not worth it. Devote your energy to something else…

…Or not. It’s your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)