Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Andor's Big Problem

Despite my issues, I finally watched Andor Season 1 on Disney+. And I enjoyed it…mostly. However, I don’t begrudge anyone who couldn’t get into it. I also don’t care for what its show-runner, Tony Gilroy, had to say to valid criticism. In a post shared on Reddit, Gilroy roasted claims that Andor was boring, saying that, in a roundabout way, everything was meant to be there. You can find his thoughts here.


I can’t tell you how obnoxious this is. Nor can I put into words how annoying the replies are. What I can say is that this is a slap in the face. I’ve written lengthy before, but I try steering clear of plodding. And while I’m not against slow content, again, I don’t have patience for plodding. Andor somehow manages to be plodding.

This, naturally, caused a debate among Star Wars fans. I’ve made my thoughts on the fanbase known, but I can’t ignore this debate. Because while I enjoyed Andor and see its potential, that’s all hampered by the show’s pacing. It takes forever to get going, and I wasn’t in a hurry to binge it initially. Considering how I usually wait until a Disney+ show’s almost done and binge it in preparation for the finale, that’s not good. Nor is it good that the first three episodes, which have plenty of setup, aren’t attention-grabbers.

Basically, pretend you’re reading a dense novel that’s 12 chapters. Now pretend that the book’s first three chapters are a chore. Would you be invested in the rest? I didn’t think so. That’s how Andor feels. It’s the show-equivalent to a book called Johnny Tremain. Except that I actually finished it.

I think this is important for why Andor didn’t grab me right away. It doesn’t matter how immersive or rich your story is, if you don’t hook people, even if your story’s meant to be slow, then you’ve failed as a storyteller. That’s how it works. And no one amount of “You don’t get it!” can change that. If anything, it feels petty.

You know what sucks more? Once I finally got into Andor, roughly 2 weeks after starting Episode 1, I came face-to-face with another problem: this show drags. There are several scenes per episode where characters talk…and talk…and talk, often back-to-back. Some of these conversations are redundant, while others are too quiet to hear. That’s not a good sign either, and it’s baffling how Gilroy and company didn’t have better editors.

Even during moments of action, the pacing’s still plodded. Take the robbery on Aldhani in Episode 6. This is one of the high points action-wise, and yet it frequently returns to the locals chanting hymns while meteors shower the skies. Yes, it’s beautiful to look at. But no, it isn’t necessary to make its point.

You know what the biggest issue is? This season didn’t need 12 episodes. It could’ve trimmed some scenes and removed redundant ones and still worked as 8 episodes, possibly 9. But it’s 12. That’s bad pacing, and it worries me.

On top of that, much of the set-up, the stuff defenders claim are crucial, feels like a letdown. Mon Mothma’s political dilemma amounts to a “to be continued in Season 2” moment. So does Andor’s fate. I know both characters have plot armour, but all of that set-up for an inconclusive pay-off isn’t good writing. If anything, it’s sloppy.

This was my issue the entire time I watched Andor. I wasn’t “bored” per se, but I was checking the clock frequently and waiting for everything to speed up. It’s telling that The Book of Boba Fett, which suffered from a lack of focus, was more engaging and better-paced. Star Wars Rebels, which routinely had tonal whiplash, was also better-paced. Even The Mandalorian, which had a controversial finale to Season 2, was more exciting than Andor!

I feel like I’m being unfair, as I did enjoy Andor, but it’s not like I can’t handle long and slow. I sat through all three Lord of the Rings movies! I also understand defending a show or movie’s reputation online, as I wrote a defence of Avatar in 2016. But both of those had hooks despite their problems. Both were still engaging.

As a final note, I’d like to level with Tony Gilroy: I get it. I’m a writer too. I know what it’s like for people to not connect with your storytelling. I understand your brilliance being misunderstood. I’ve been in your shoes multiple times, and it’s frustrating.

But you know what? You can’t let it get to you. Yes, some critics are full of it, that much is true. And yes, feedback should be taken with a grain of salt. But that doesn’t give you license to be vindictive to your critics, especially if they’re trying to help you. That makes them not want to help you, and it might even turn them off of your work. There needs to be humility that comes with putting your work out there, and I’m not seeing that.

But that’s my opinion, for what it’s worth. I suggest shopping around to see if anyone agrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)