Wednesday, August 31, 2022

A Pikmin Story

In 2017, I purchased a Wii U.


It seems foolish to do that. After all, Nintendo’s newest console, the Switch, was months from release. Why bother with a 5 year-old console, especially when it was about to be obsolete? Well, I’d heard good stuff from friends, and I was getting back into gaming then. I also didn’t know how to budget my spending yet, so why not? The least I could do was get the store clerk to lug the only available Wii U from the back shelf. Considering it’d been sitting there, doing nothing, for months, I guess I felt bad.

It feels weird saying that, as I don’t regret my purchase. I got a lot of milage out of my Wii U by sniffing out and scooping up Wii U games from bargain bins, schlepping them home and inserting them into the disc tray with the usual buzzing noise. Chief among these was Pikmin 3, which I’d happened upon while trading in an unwanted birthday present. One week later, and it was my favourite title on the console. That says a lot.

The Pikmin series follows the adventures of unwitting explorers who get stranded on the Earth-like PNF-404. In the first game, you take the role of Captain Olimar, a Hoctatian who has 30 days to gather his missing ship parts before dying. The sequel follows Olimar again as, together with Louie, he collects treasures to get their company out of debt. The third entry mixes up the formula by having three new explorers scavenge for fruit. In each game, you encounter loveable, plant-like creatures called Pikmin, who help you in your efforts.

If this sounds like an exploration series, it is. But it’s also an RTS, or Real-Time Strategy, series. Considering that RTS games were never something I was good at, that this one’s streamlined enough to be easily-accessible makes it a “baby’s first RTS” franchise. Not that I’m complaining, as it’s lots of fun (mostly)! And judging by its reception, I’m not exactly alone on that sentiment.

What makes the Pikmin games endearing? I think it boils down to their accessibility. You start each in-game “day”, which lasts roughly 20 minutes, by waking the Pikmin from their home, or Onion, and exploring your surroundings. You can build your army by harvesting nearby flowers, attack wildlife and harvest their corpses, or aim for the primary objective and collect the special items. If that doesn’t interest you, you can take in the beauty of your surroundings. Each map has locations that are as colourful as your little soldiers.

Perhaps the most-striking aspect of the Pikmin themselves is how varied they are. They share an ant-like hive-mind that makes them a force to be feared, and their character traits change depending on their colour. Red Pikmin are natural-born fighters that are resistant to fire, while Yellow Pikmin can jump high and are resistant to electricity. And Blue Pikmin can swim and are resistant to water attacks. Later entries would add the treasure-seeking and poisonous White Pikmin, the burly Purple Pikmin with the strength of 10, the rock-breaking Black Pikmin and the diminutive Pink Pikmin, who can fly. All of these add strategy and puzzle-solving, and that you can only have 100 on the playing field forces you to mix-and-match.

The Pikmin are also really cute. This makes their deaths and conquests even more brutal. I’m not kidding when I say that Pikmin and enemies don’t simply die, they shriek in agony as their souls ascend to the heavens. It’s pretty bleak to see play out, made worse by the realization that they died horribly. If it weren’t for that, I’d have more fun with my conquest. But perhaps that’s also grounding?

Speaking of enemies, the games are littered with various types. These range from grub-like enemies, to flying bugs, to even sea predators. And there are bosses and mini-bosses, both of which have unique themes, are terrifying and reveal the biggest rewards upon defeat. I always dread when I first encounter them, my heart beating erratically as I whittle down their health. But when I defeat them? Boy is it satisfying!

If the main game isn’t to your liking, the second and third entries also have multiplayer modes. Pikmin 2’s multiplayer mode specifically is the game’s highlight. Whether it’s collecting cherries or scattered marbles to bring back to your base, there’s never a shortage of competitions to be had. In some ways, it’s even be on-par with the Mario Kart, Mario Party and Smash Bros. franchises for friendship-testing moments. Trust me, I know!

Unfortunately, if the Pikmin franchise has a downside, aside from occasionally-oversensitive controls, it’s the day cycle. Like I said before, each in-game day lasts approximately 20 minutes, and, with the exception of the second game, they aren’t infinite. It’s because of that that I could never appreciate the original game, while Pikmin 3 made up for it by letting you collect rations. Still, I suppose that creates an additional level of strategy…

Is the Pikmin franchise worth it? It depends. If you enjoy torturing enemies, then yes. If you like collecting items, then also yes. But if you like exploring your surroundings, appreciate occasional puzzle-solving and strategizing, or are looking for something exciting, then I’d give it a try. It’s not always the easiest series, and it can sometimes be unforgiving, but as a Nintendo franchise that’s been routinely slept on, I’d say that it’s worth it. In the worst-case scenario, you won’t get into it like I did.

Now then, where’s Pikmin 4? It’s been 9 years, Nintendo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)