Thursday, September 23, 2021

In Liu of...

The internet is wild sometimes…


Simu Liu’s on top of the world right now. Aside from making a splash in Kim’s Convenience, the actor lit The MCU up with Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. It seems like he’s on fire! So it’d be unfortunate if something derailed his goodwill, right? Right?!

It was recently revealed that Liu had skeletons in his closet. Aside from allegedly using an ableist slur on Twitter, which I can no longer find, he also frequented a subreddit about MRAs and incels. The information on him was well-documented, and people felt betrayed; after all, this was public for years! Did Disney not vet him?

This brings up a discussion about past behaviour and time. Liu’s posts date back to 2012, roughly 9 years ago. That’s around the time James Gunn was making pedophile jokes. And as abhorrent as those were, Gunn’s apologized in the years since. It’s easy to shame someone for something they don’t agree with anymore, but it’s harder to forgive them for it. That needs to be accounted for here, especially with a 9-year gap.

That said, this mindset’s predicated on the individual wanting to change. And not much was known about Simu Liu’s response in the years that followed. Did he admit his mistakes? Did he atone for them? Or did he pretend they never happened in order to rehabilitate his image?

I’d leave it there, but then it was revealed that the Reddit posts were taken out of proportion. Suddenly, Simu Liu was the victim. It was also possible that Liu might’ve acknowledged and apologized, maybe? There was definitely more to this story. And this additional information was being ignored.

A valuable lesson can be learned from this. On one hand, the internet never forgives, and the internet never forgets. As I’ve learned frequently, the stuff I say online is public, regardless of whether or not I want it to. Does that mean I don’t still put my foot in my mouth regularly? Absolutely! But I’ve become more aware, and I’ve made attempts to remedy it. Simu Liu’s no different.

On the other hand, the internet needs to chill. I’m won’t use the “Cancel Culture” line, since I believe that most individuals who get “cancelled” deserve it, but purity politics is dangerous. We frequently strive for perfection with our heroes, and when they disappoint we write them off. That’s unhealthy. Humans are flawed, and making errors is inevitable. We need to recognize that no one’s perfect, that mistakes do happen, and that, sometimes, we need to forgive and move on. Especially when people actively make amends for their past behaviour.

Ultimately, this is another example of internet outrage for the sake of it. Is Simu Liu prone to getting his foot caught in the door? Yes, but isn’t everyone? And if that’s the case, then shouldn’t he have the opportunity to atone? I think so!

I’m not simply saying all this because I like The MCU. Nor am I saying it because I like Simu Liu. I have my issues with The MCU, which I’ve mentioned before. And while I’m sure Liu’s talented, I can’t comment on his acting because I’ve yet to see Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings. (I’m waiting for it to release on Disney+.) My thoughts are purely based on this debacle, how it’s played out and the ramifications of turning a blind eye. Nothing more.

As it currently stands now, this was the internet overreacting to something milquetoast. Should we be critical of Simu Liu’s missteps? Absolutely, accountability’s important! But reacting, or overreacting, to something that wasn’t a scandal or controversy isn’t helpful or healthy. If anything, it does more harm than good in the long run. And that’s a problem.

Basically, the internet needs to learn to step back and breathe. And yes, that includes me. Because we far too frequently see one part of the story, overreact and miss the grander picture in its entirety. Simu Liu’s Reddit posts, or misrepresented Reddit posts, are another example of that. It’s purity politics at its worst.

Now then, about that supposed Twitter post…

***

I feel like I owe you another update. As you can tell, I’ve cut back on my output from last year. The reason, aside from having two jobs, is that it was exhausting to churn out stuff so frequently. I also feel like writing fewer pieces a month means I can better dedicate my energy to making each piece as good as it should be. I hope you’re okay with that.

On the plus side, I have a special post coming up in the next while. I won’t say what it is right now, but keep an eye out for it. Anyway, I’ll see you next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)