Friday, September 18, 2020

Super Mari-Oh!

Mario’s my favourite Nintendo IP. There, I said it. I’ve loved the character since I was first introduced to him, and his influence is still strong decades later. I even have Tanooki Mario as my Twitter avatar! You can’t get more “favourite IP” than that! 


Still, I can’t bring myself to purchase Super Mario 3D All-Stars. Ignoring how I’ve already made my video game purchase for the month with Bug Fables: The Everlasting Sapling, I think this is a shameless cash grab. It seems like little thought went into it other than “time-sensitive compilation of three Mario games”, which bugs me. Let me explain.

Mario compilation bundles aren’t anything new. Super Mario All-Stars + Super Mario World, on The SNES, is something I have fond memories of playing in the 90’s. That was a supped-up port of five Mario games: Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World. I actually consider them upgrades from their original versions. But that’s the key, they were “upgrades”.

I’m serious. Ignoring that they were ports on a more-advanced console, hence a new controller layout, each game received major facelifts. Gone were the blocky, 8-bit sprites and single, keyboard jingles of the NES. In were the 16-bit revamps and more advanced versions of classic jingles. The worlds also felt more unique and lived-in, complete with background details not originally possible. Even Super Mario World’s inclusion had slight tweaks, including a new sprite to differentiate Luigi from Mario. 

Essentially, this wasn’t a shameless rehash of five classic Mario titles. No, this was a true upgrade, and it felt like it! I dare anyone to look at the original and revamped versions of each game and say they’re the same! They’re not, and people noticed!

So why can’t Super Mario 3D All-Stars do the same with Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy? Ignoring how Super Mario Galaxy 2’s conspicuously absent here, and let’s not act like it isn’t, wouldn’t it make sense to give facelifts for Mario’s 35th anniversary on a Nintendo console? We’ve already seen a graphical enhancement of Super Mario 64 for the DS remake, right? Right?!

I wouldn’t be disappointed if the games weren’t begging for facelifts. But they are. This is especially true of Super Mario 64, a game that, honestly, hasn’t aged gracefully. It hurts to knock on my favourite game from childhood, but between a stiff and uncooperative camera, rampant bugs and glitches, frequent clipping and minimalist level design, the game’s a product of the mid/late-90’s in every sense. It feels antiquated, and a modern-day reworking would do it wonders! But we’re not getting that, unfortunately. 

I also wouldn’t be disappointed if the other games for Mario’s 35th anniversary weren’t getting enhancements. Super Mario Bros. 35’s basically Super Mario Bros., but it now has an online competitive mode for up to 35 players. Conversely, Super Mario Bros. 3D World + Bowser’s Fury takes the under-appreciated, yet still excellent, Wii U game and adds new content to it. Both of these feel like truly-enhanced ports, as opposed to shameless rehashes. So why won’t Super Mario 3D All-Stars follow suit?

It doesn’t help that it’s a time-sensitive release. Even before digital downloads, purposely making a game limited release felt like a cheap scam. With digital downloads being encouraged nowadays, it feels like an even cheaper scam! This part bothers me most because my copy of Super Mario Sunshine’s badly-scratched, so I can’t play it anymore, and finding a replacement’s expensive. I’d be more than willing to swallow my pride and buy this compilation if it weren’t time-sensitive, but it is.

I get it: it’s all about the novelty. These three games being bundled together is meant to excite people who didn’t get to play them the first time around. It’s also neat to see the games on the Switch at all. But that doesn’t negate my concerns about the lack of enhancements and the time-sensitive window. Especially the former, but also the latter! 

I don’t see why it has to be done this way, especially with a lazy rehash. Did time-sensitive anniversary collections exist before? Yes. Is it true that this tactic, historically-speaking, drives up demand for games? Also yes. (Search for the NES shortage of the 80's.) But does that make it right? Not really, especially given Nintendo’s draconian practices surrounding piracy and emulation.

Look, I’m happy for those experiencing these games for the first time. I really am. Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy were formative in my childhood, pre-adolescence and teenage years respectively, and I don’t say that lightly. I have fond memories with all three games, ignoring any real qualms I have retroactively. But I’m not buying this compilation for the above reasons. And I don’t care if it’s through Nintendo, who’s also my favourite video game manufacturer.

But at least the fabled “Mariosplosion” happened, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)