Sunday, July 5, 2020

The Case for The Legend of Zelda...

On Sunday, June 18th, 2017, I posted a rant discussing my frustrations with the Zelda franchise. I’ve slammed the franchise on numerous occasions since then, enough to start a running tally. But constantly attacking a franchise I don’t like is really unfair. Because Zelda games aren’t bad, they simply don’t appeal to me. So, in the sake of fairness, I’ve decided to write a counter-piece for these games. Here goes!


The Zelda franchise is known for many innovations. Most-notably, the first game introduced the save feature in cartridges. Prior to this, video games relied on single play-throughs, with interruptions forcing gamers to start from scratch. Being a massive, open-world game with non-linearity, the first Zelda title was next to impossible to beat like that, hence the save feature. It might be primitive now, but for 1986 that was huge!

Additionally, the Zelda games made open-world exploration mainstream. Is the first game’s over-world too big and confusing? Yes. Would every game since be even more confusing? Again, yes. But a non-linear map allowed for, in theory, free-reign for exploration, as well as the unpredictability that came with that.

This only heightened the exploration aspect: don’t want to start with Dungeon A? You can do that. Want to talk to some people along the way? That’s possible too. Curious to try a side-quest? Guess what? You can.

One of the coolest parts about Zelda games is exploration. Because immersion centres around choice, as well as not having it predetermined. That you can veer off in your own direction means playing however you want, upping the fun factor for many. It’s something that’s taken for granted nowadays.

Another feature taken for granted is intuitive controls. The Zelda games all have perfectly-attuned control layouts. Each scheme also fits the respective console, making for a more immersive experience. This has often resulted in delaying the game for increased polish as well. The Zelda games being unafraid to tinker with new technology doesn’t hurt.

Speaking of, the Zelda games routinely utilize new gameplay mechanics. Whether it’s the 3-Day Cycle in The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask, or flying in The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, each one continues to “reinvent the wheel”. It may not always work in its favour personally, but it does for most generally. And isn’t that what counts?

I’d be remiss to mention the in-game puzzles. I’ve harped on them for over-relying on franchise history, but when you solve them it sometimes feels rewarding. It helps that the games have pleasant jingles for solving the puzzles. If all else, considering the dungeon and over-world designs feeling tedious, that’s a nice touch.

Then there’s the games’ adherence to formula. I know, for instance, that when I beat a mini-boss in a dungeon I’ll be rewarded with an item. I also know that that item will be used against the dungeon boss. And I know that the dungeon boss will play fair. This familiarity, while arguably tired and cliché, feels welcomed.

Speaking of, the aesthetics continue to impress me. I saw The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the first time as an 8 year-old and was wowed. Future entries would only continue pushing the limits of their consoles and handhelds, with some still looking amazing today. I mean, look at the wind effects in some of them! Or even the waves! I know it’s bare-minimum to praise the visuals, especially since a game’s more than that, but still!

I can’t go without mentioning the games’ OSTs. These are great scores, both past and present-alike! Whether it’s the constant remixes of the over-worlds, some of the dungeon tracks, or that famous chest jingle that’s been re-orchestrated too many times, there’s no denying the staying power of the music. I can listen to an entire playlist of Zelda jingles and never be bored, they’re that good. Forget Mario, Metroid or Pokémon, Zelda’s music is Nintendo’s finest! In some ways, it might be better than the games themselves!

Lastly, the games, at times, are fun. And yes, I know that I routinely pick on them for being tedious, obnoxious, repetitive and laden with puzzles I rarely think are fair. I also know that I despise the in-game sidekicks for being completely unhelpful, often telling you information you already know instead of being useful. I even know that I’ve complained about the games’ shameful padding. But when they’re none of the above? That’s when they’re really great.

These glimpses of brilliance sometimes even overshadow any problems, thereby not letting me hate them. But I can’t lie. The games are, at worst, always well-made with moments of brilliance. If that doesn’t sell them, then I don’t know what does. You can quote me on that!

It sounds like I’m being superficial right now. I get that praising a franchise I don’t like could potentially ring false. This was really hard to write for that exact reason. Still, it was worth it. Especially since the internet has plenty of unbridled negativity, so a change in perspective was needed to balance everything.

And that’s my defence of the Zelda games. Don’t worry, I’ll have many opportunities to trash them again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)