Monday, July 1, 2019

D'oh Canada!

I’m a practicing Jew. I eat strictly-Kosher food, I pray at least twice daily, I keep Shabbat and I routinely study my religious texts. But more than anything, I’ve worn a head-covering, or yarmulke, for the last 13 years. And it’s the latter that makes me a visibly noticeable minority, as I’d be nothing more than “another white guy” without it.


I mention this because of a controversial law that passed in Québec parliament this Spring. Said law, known as Bill-21, has been dubbed “The Secularism Law”, and it curtails any active displays of religion in the public sector. In other words, if you want to become a teacher, lawyer, doctor, police officer, firefighter, or any other public worker, you can’t wear your religion in public. And yes, it’s being strictly-enforced. Isn’t politics fun?

This bill is highly-discriminatory and will be challenged in Canada’s Supreme Court. But it shows how far we have to go, despite Canada touting itself as “tolerant toward minorities”. Because this law wasn’t forged overnight: The Coalition Avenir Québec, or CAQ, might’ve proposed it, but some variant has been floating around under previous governments. The only difference is that it passed, due to The CAQ being the current party in power. That it was even proposed at all shows how discrimination still exists.

Outside of that, my issue with Bill-21 is deeply seated. You know how I started this piece off by mentioning that I’m a practicing Jew? It’s to show where I stand. I might’ve “chosen” to practice Judaism, but it’s a protected right under The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. Like Freedom of Expression, I’m allowed to wear my yarmulke in a public space and practice my Judaism openly. So long as I’m not hurting anyone, is that really so bad?

Bill-21 makes me uncomfortable. It lessens my desire to visit Québec, and it causes me immediate concern for my Jewish brethren there, religious and non-religious alike. It also causes me concern for non-Jewish minorities who are outwardly religious, like Sikhs and Muslims, as they too are now being forced to remove their garments in public. And why should anyone have to hide their identity over some law that’s rooted in a flawed understanding of secularism?

This also highlights how non-secular Québec is. If Québec’s so insistent in scrubbing all traces of religion from public spaces, then why does the French rendition of “O Canada” allude to the cross? If Québec wants to streamline its identity, then why’s there a law that advocates for larger French writing than English writing? If Québec wants to be “secular”, then shouldn’t they be advocating for true tolerance toward all minorities?

Don’t think this is only about head-coverings. You can’t wear religious-themed jewellery either. No necklaces with a Star of David or a cross on them. No rings or bracelets with religious lettering. None of that’s allowed under Bill-21. Even if you’re not religious, why shouldn’t you be allowed to express your identity?

I don’t see this boding well for Québec. For one, this’ll prompt another mass-migration of Jews to neighbouring provinces, not unlike what happened in the 1970’s-1980’s. But on a wider level, this is a huge slap in the face to what Canada purports to stand for. We’re The US’s friendlier, more-tolerant neighbour to the north. We’ve built the past 30+ years of our existence on immigration, a literal mosaic of faiths. Multiculturalism’s our identity. So why should we throw that out in favour of a law that claims to be “progressive”?

This also highlights how fragile Canada’s tolerance really is. Remember when Faith Goldy ran for Toronto mayor, only to end up in third-place? Remember when Stephen Harper brought the issue of Muslim head-coverings to The Supreme Court of Canada? Remember when Maxime Bernier made a claim about how there was too much immigration? These all actually happened!

Essentially, Canada has a long way to go before it can truly boast tolerance toward minorities. It’s done a lot so far, don’t get me wrong, but it needs constant pruning of that tolerance. It needs to constantly work at its multiculturalism, even when it’s hard. By having The CAQ pass a law like Bill-21, all that work is actively spat on. And this saddens me.

Ultimately, I’m worried about the long-term ramifications. Like every other law, Bill-21 isn’t really about Bill-21. The law’s effects won’t stop at public downplays of religion, it never does. And given how it’s being so heavily-enforced, I worry that it’ll cause further discrimination in the workforce. Because that’s what usually happens.

I get it: religion’s touchy. So many bad events in history have been carried out in its name. And yes, there should be limits to religious practice before it hurts others. But a religious ban in the name of “secularism” isn’t the answer. That’s not what secularism means.

Lastly, since I know Bill-21 has supporters, I have to ask: what does this accomplish? Do people think this law will work? Do people not realize that it’ll be challenged? It’s not like Bill-21 won’t be met with resistance, because it will. If that worries you more than the damage this law’s causing, then you’re part of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts (Monthly)

Popular Posts (General)